Getting past the arguing to create realistic solutions…
Contrary to popular belief…Republicans and Democrats are not far apart on the issue of abortion, we have a common goal: to decrease the number.
The impression is often given that Democrats are supporters of killing babies. This idea is ludicrous and unfounded in facts. We cannot, of course, speak for every single Liberal or Democrat, just as no Republican can speak for every Conservative. But none of the major candidates, nor the Democratic party platform, has the goal of killing babies. So, in order to make any progress on this controversial issue, we must focus on our true foundational and mutual goal – to reduce the number of abortions as much as possible. Both sides have their own take on how this can be done. As a group who shares this goal of abortion reduction, and as Christians, our job is to look at the facts to reach a decision on what party will give us the most reduction. Look at the facts to judge for yourself who can best reduce the amount of abortions in this country:
1. The #1 reason women have abortions are economic in nature. Three out of four women cite economic reasons. Worldwide the #1 real explanation given is socioeconomic factors. Of course, the availability of contraception and abstinence programs have proven crucial also.
2. Under Republican majority, abortions have not decreased, but numbers have stagnated or risen.
3. During the Clinton and other Democratic administrations, abortions reduced in number by at least 30%
4. If the real goal is to lessen the amount of abortions, Democrats have real plans to make this happen: availability of low cost or free birth control, economic assistance for girls facing a single-parent situation, etc. With economic reason being the most cited reason, we should be supporting policies and legislation and politicians that will help our economy.
5. Banning all abortions, as most Conservatives believe is the best way of tackling the issue, will not stop them – in fact, with economic issues persisting, they will probably increase. Black-market abortions will be ugly, with many women dying and abortions happening regularly in the 3rd trimester.…right now, approximately 90% of all abortions occur in the first 12 weeks.
6. A quote from a bipartisan statistics group says: “Abortion has existed in almost every society in all of recorded history and was legal under roman law…when america was founded, abortion was legal. Laws prohibiting abortion were introduced in the mid-1800s, and, by 1900, most had been outlawed. Outlawing abortion did
nothing to prevent pregnancy, and some estimates put the number of annual illegal abortions from 200,000 to 1.2 million in the 50s and 60s.” This would happen again, as is proven in history with any prohibition.
The Facts: Click here for a great fact-sheet on how to help reduce abortions in America.